The Personnel Department was originally known as the Appointment Department. Due to subsequent increase in work, the Department was bifurcated into two branches, viz., Appointment (A) and Appointment (B) in the last part of 1955. With a view to strengthening and streamlining the administrative machinery in the context of the then newly unveiled 20-Point Programme and recommendations of the Conference of Chief Secretaries in May, 1976, the Department was reorganized and renamed as the Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms & Training. The newly reorganized Department of Personnel & Administrative Reforms and Training had three branches namely (1) Personnel; (2) Administrative Reforms & Organization and Methods; and (3) Training.
Subsequently, Department of Personnel was separated from the Administrative Reforms Department vide Notification No. ABP.133/76/Pt. IV/43 dated 11.08.1978. The Training wing of the present day Administrative Reforms & Training Department remained tagged with the Department of Personnel. However, in 1979, the Training wing of the Department of Personnel was made a part of the Administrative Reforms & Training Department.
The present day Department of Personnel has two separate wings – Personnel (A) and Personnel (B) for the sake of administrative convenience.